Affordable Summer Party Dinner for 6 – Under $12 #GuestPost

Who is ready to make a great dinner that is super affordable? My friend, Joy at Kitchen Scentse, is all about sharing yummy recipes for affordable prices. In this week's guest post Joy shares how she created a summer dinner party menu for 6 people under $12. Read more below and make sure you see more at dinnerwithjoy.com

Affordable Summer Party Dinner for 6 – Under $12


I rarely write a post about a specific meal unless it’s for an occasion, and have never included a full menu, but due to the current concern over food prices, I’m doing that this week. Last Sunday I had a chance to prove my plan to control food bills works by delivering a full dinner for 6 for under $12.00, and I did it, shopping in a regular supermarket, using only their flyer .One dish, the potato salad, allowed me to show how substitutions can reduce cost without sacrificing quality too.

The backstory is simple. My pool club hosted a charity fund raiser which combined the traditional Labor Day Picnic with the old practice of bidding for a “boxed “dinner. It was a blind process, the club setting prices for adults and children, a limit on servings to be ordered and agreeing to reimburse the volunteer chefs 50% of the cost. The bidders filled coded forms listing the number of adults and children, and any food allergies. I drew an order for 3 adults and 3 children, absolutely no nuts. 

The meal I delivered was Teriyaki basted chicken with crispy, garlic dusted skin, cold French style green beans with fresh lemon balm, sweet potato salad in lime-ginger-chili marinade with fresh mint, chopped iceberg lettuce salad with fresh oregano and Thai basil in  rosemary-garlic vinaigrette and a peach & plum pie. I considered it important in planning that all the dishes be unaffected by the hot weather.

Obviously, I was mindful of the total cost. The less I spent, the greater the percent of the agreed price for the dinner went to charity. As I said, I didn’t use coupons, bargain racks or special value stores. That doesn’t mean I didn’t look for advantages. Following my usual practice, I carefully studied the market flyers to plan the meal. I found one with enough specials to let me outline the dinner. Featured were fresh chicken, thighs and drums@ $0.98 lb. frozen name brand vegetables, 16oz.bag- 10/$10, lettuce $1.28 each, and peaches and plums @ $0.68 lb. with $25.00 purchase. The sweet potatoes were regular price, but everything else I needed was on special. Adding my own groceries made me eligible for the coupon.

I do admit I used my own staples for the pie crust, condiments, seasonings and fresh herbs for flavorings and didn’t include them in my total, but they aren’t regularly considered in these calculations because they aren’t replenished weekly. I bought the full 3lb. of thighs, used 4 and averaged the price, but I didn’t want 3 lb. of drums, so I paid full price for the 6 I needed. I’ve included that. Had I bought the sale product, the total would have been even less. The accounting is printed below and the recipes follow it. I think you’ll agree this was a complete, nutritious and interesting dinner. 

However, cooking good meals is my business, I’m more proud, considering today’s food prices, of being able to bring this one in so reasonably. I did it by following my Diet for the Food Dollar Plan as explained in my book How to Control Food Bills, available at dinnerwithjoy.com.

ACCOUNTING:
Chicken @ $0.98 lb. family pack 3lb or more was $4.22 -10 thighs in pack=$0.42 each= $1.68
Chicken @ $1.18 lb.- 6 drums                                                                     $2.89
French cut green bea                                                                                 $1.00           Lettuce - 1 head iceber                                                                              $1.28          
3 Sweet potatoes @ $1.08 lb.                                                                      $2.36
Peaches and Plums @ $0.68 lb.       6 items, 3 each                                     $2.44 
TOTAL------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$11.65                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Mom Spark Reviews © 2012 | Designed by Bubble Shooter, in collaboration with Reseller Hosting , Forum Jual Beli and Business Solutions